Vintage US Army Utility Shirt P58 1960'S Vietnam War with 4th Infantry Division Armor and Lieutenant patches.
The Army's first pattern utility shirt was standardized in 19581 and replaced the near identical utility jacket. It was made from olive green (OG-107) 8.5oz cotton sateen and boasted two patch pockets with straight cut flaps. The shirt also had an unusually low first button and no button cuffs.
Designed to be loose fitting, it was typically worn over a white T-shirt and was tucked into the utility trousers. Though the lighter and quicker drying Tropical Combat Uniform had been developed in 1962, three years prior to the introduction of U.S ground troops in Vietnam, the utility shirt and trousers were still worn by infantrymen early in the war.
1. Military Specification MIL-S-3001C. (17 October 1958)
The 4th Infantry Division (right sleeve), is a division of the United States Army based at Fort Carson, Colorado. It is composed of a division headquarters battalion, three brigade combat teams (two Stryker and one armor), a combat aviation brigade, a division sustainment brigade, and a division artillery.
The Armor insignia (on the collar), approved in 1950, consists of the traditional crossed sabers (originally adopted for the cavalry in 1851) on which the M-26 tank is superimposed. The design symbolizes the traditional and current roles of armor.