The 107th Armored Cavalry Regiment’s lineage goes back to 7 May 1877 and the constitution of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Troops of Cavalry. Its descendent and associated organizations underwent a truly mind-boggling number of changes (redesignation, activations, reorganizations, etc. etc.) over the next seven decades, with the most noticeable change being the consolidation of the 107th Cavalry Group, Mechanized and the 107th Mechanized Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron to create the 107th Armored Cavalry on 15 September 1949.
On 1 June 1974, the 107th Armored Cavalry was consolidated with the 145th Infantry to form a new 107th Armored Cavalry; it was this unit that was designated as a parent regiment in the United States Army Regimental System. Just four years later, the 107th Armored Cavalry Regiment was reorganized and redesignated to make the 107th Cavalry Regiment.
Today, the 107th Cavalry Regiment consists of only one squadron, the 2nd, which is a component of the 2nd Brigade, 29th Infantry Division in the Ohio National Guard.